DMU logo

Do I need to register with the police?

Students from certain countries will usually need to register with the police if they hold a visa for more than six months.

You should check the student visa sticker in your passport to see whether or not you are required to register. If you need to register, your student visa sticker will say “…register with the police within seven days of arrival in the UK”.

The spouse or child (aged 16 or over) of a student who is admitted to the UK on a student visa for more than six months will also need to register with the police. If you are admitted to the UK on a visa for less than six months and later extend your current student visa in the UK for more than six months, you will also need to register with the police.

See list of those countries whose students usually need to register.

A police registration certificate is valid for the duration of your stay in the UK and should be renewed every time you extend your visa. You must also renew your police registration certificate every time you change address, academic course, place of study, marital status or if you renew your passport.

When you register for the first time you will need to pay £34 per person. There is also a £34 charge for renewing your police registration certificate if the original is lost or full.

If you are required to register your visa, it's important to do so; failure to do this may be a criminal offence.

We are running appointments in October for students who need to register their visas. We have also arranged separate appointments for any students who have registered already, but need to notify the police of a change of circumstances.

Please do not go to the police station to register at this time. If you do, you will probably be turned away and told to make an appointment at DMU.

Visa registration appointments in October

International Student Support team are organising police visa registration appointments over 3 dates in October. Online booking for these appointments will be available here by Monday 25th September. 

If you are registering for the first time, you will need to bring with you -

  • Two recent, identical passport photographs 
  • A fee of £34 which should be in cash (please bring the exact amount of money if you can) 
  • Your passport
  • Your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
  • A letter confirming you are a student at De Montfort University (your CAS letter or DMU offer letter will be suitable)
  • Proof of your address in Leicester – either your contract/tenancy agreement, a bank statement or some other letter that shows your name and current address in Leicester

You will also need to take photocopies of your passport (photo and visa pages), BRP, CAS or offer letter, and address document.

Change of Circumstances appointments in October

If you have already registered your visa, you need to inform the Nationality team if any these details change -

  • You change your address
  • You change your course of study
  • You get a new visa or a new passport
  • You start a job
  • You get married.

We will be running appointments for Changes of Circumstances in October. Online booking will be available here by Monday 25th September.

If you notify a change of circumstances, you'll need to present your existing registration certificate to the police Nationality team, as well as proof of the change (such as a document with your new address, for example).

If you have any questions about police registration, please contact us at

Events Calendar

At DMU there is always something to do or see, check out our events for yourself.

DSU logo
De Montfort Students' Union

DSU is here to support you, find out how.


MyDMU is where you can find all your personal DMU information.